Started logging meeting in #ubuntu-au
[04:02:23] <nisshh> roll call!
[04:02:27] <MoLE_> here
[04:02:30] <tom_a_sparks> here
[04:02:33] <iflema> +1
[04:02:42] <sagaci> Presents
[04:02:46] <head_victim> Present
[04:02:49] <nisshh> dns53, ?
[04:02:59] <dns53> hey
[04:03:06] <nisshh> ok
[04:03:09] <nisshh> first topic
[04:03:27] <nisshh> [TOPIC]Ubuntu-AU Team Forum
[04:03:31] <nisshh> head_victim, all yours
[04:03:33] * iflema looks up the topics :/
[04:03:34] <head_victim> [LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam/Meetings
[04:03:54] <head_victim> Ok, as per last meeting it was decided to start up a Loco forum on the official ubuntuforums.org
[04:04:20] <head_victim> I was hoping to get some sort of feedback on the list as to the prefix the team would prefer. I have only had one response so far so thought I'd bring it here
[04:04:27] <head_victim> Is au. acceptable?
[04:04:33] <nisshh> i think so
[04:04:34] <tom_a_sparks> yes
[04:04:39] <dns53> yes
[04:04:48] <nisshh> most of the US loco's have the state prefix or name
[04:04:54] <head_victim> I'm not certain on this stuff as I am not an avid forum user in any sense so wanted to make sure it was acceptable.
[04:04:54] <nisshh> so au would be fine
[04:05:14] <head_victim> I couldn't think of anything better that didn't involve lots of typing :)
[04:05:25] <sagaci> Goes well with ubuntu-au
[04:05:34] <head_victim> Cool
[04:05:35] <MoLE_> sounds unanimous to me
[04:05:49] <nisshh> shall we move on then? :)
[04:05:50] <head_victim> [ACTION] head_victim to set up the au.ubuntuforums.org
[04:05:56] <nisshh> that was easy
[04:06:00] <head_victim> [IDEA] head_victim to set up the au.ubuntuforums.org
[04:06:09] <head_victim> And no one has objections to ikt and phlosten being the moderators?
[04:06:14] <MoLE_> no
[04:06:20] <nisshh> nope, thats cool
[04:06:27] <sagaci> Nope
[04:06:32] <MoLE_> kudos to them both for volunteering
[04:06:36] <head_victim> [IDEA] ikt and phlosten agreed to be moderators for loco forum
[04:06:51] * sagaci is brb
[04:06:53] <head_victim> That's about it for the first topic then, I will post to the list when I have put the request in
[04:07:03] <nisshh> cool
[04:07:10] <iflema> too easy
[04:07:16] <nisshh> moving along then
[04:07:33] <nisshh> [TOPIC]Ubuntu Global Jam
[04:07:41] <nisshh> head_victim, you first
[04:08:25] <head_victim> I was wondering if people would like to contribute.
[04:08:36] <head_victim> My idea was to hold a translation session to help people out getting started
[04:08:51] <head_victim> For those who don't know here is a link
[04:08:53] <MoLE_> translation certainly has a low bar to entry
[04:08:54] <nisshh> i beleive this is face-to-face is it not?
[04:08:55] <head_victim> [LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam
[04:09:04] <MoLE_> face to face will be difficult
[04:09:28] <head_victim> nisshh: doesn't have to be, would be nice to have some face to face but being a geographically spread out loco I think online would be fine
[04:09:37] <nisshh> yeah
[04:09:46] <nisshh> im happy to help out remotely
[04:10:00] <head_victim> I was thinking a saturday afternoon session would be goo
[04:10:02] <head_victim> good*
[04:10:07] <head_victim> 2 or 3 ish
[04:10:20] <nisshh> i should be available
[04:10:22] <MoLE_> depending on time zone that would be ok.
[04:10:24] <nisshh> then
[04:10:40] <nisshh> head_victim, i assume you mean 2-3 your time?
[04:10:48] <head_victim> Yeah GMT +10
[04:10:54] <nisshh> ok
[04:10:59] <head_victim> After lunch, before people head out for the evening
[04:11:08] <MoLE_> Personally I'd get more value out of a bug jam than translation jam but I'm happy to be involved in either.
[04:11:14] <nisshh> well, for everyone except me, but yeah
[04:11:19] <head_victim> MoLE_: the idea is to hold several events
[04:11:33] <head_victim> I was just saying the one I can actually hold and I did get a few questions abotu it at LCA
[04:12:03] <MoLE_> interesting, what sort of questions if that's not too off-topic?
[04:12:12] <head_victim> Just how to go about it
[04:12:17] <head_victim> What to sign up to
[04:12:33] <MoLE_> launchpad makes it easy
[04:12:43] <nisshh> head_victim, one thing i think would be worth doing is advertising it throughout the ubuntu community
[04:12:53] <MoLE_> so should be fun
[04:13:01] <nisshh> would be cool to have a bunch of people from all over come and join in
[04:13:04] <head_victim> MoLE_: yes as long as you know where to look :) The idea is I show people where to look and then we get to it :)
[04:13:13] <MoLE_> done and done then
[04:13:38] <head_victim> [IDEA] head_victim to organise a translation session Saturday afternoon to line up with the Ubuntu Global Jam
[04:13:46] <iflema> head_victim: +10 or +11 daylight savings ends april 3
[04:13:48] <head_victim> nisshh: you had something on this topic to contribute to?
[04:13:53] <nisshh> yes
[04:14:07] <nisshh> i promised last year that i would be happy to hold some sessions
[04:14:10] <nisshh> on irc
[04:14:29] <nisshh> i can do one or more at this event if there is more than 1-2 people interested
[04:15:12] <head_victim> Cool, just need to figure out what people want to do with it then
[04:15:29] <nisshh> so no one is interested?
[04:15:37] <MoLE_> +1 interest
[04:15:41] <head_victim> You've mentioned you aren't certain about bugs, is there anyone here experienced enough with bugs to hold a bug jam?
[04:16:03] <nisshh> well, kermiac taught me, but i havent persued it enough since
[04:16:08] <MoLE_> kermiac did a great tute last year
[04:16:08] <dns53> i'd be interested
[04:16:15] <nisshh> kermiac wanted to hold a bug jam before he disappeared
[04:16:40] <MoLE_> gorilla was also keen IIRC
[04:16:44] <nisshh> yes
[04:16:50] <nisshh> i was about to say that MoLE_ :)
[04:16:58] <head_victim> Maybe we can entice them back with this one. Just need to make sure we have some mentors around for it
[04:16:59] <nisshh> he was taught at the same time as me
[04:17:19] <nisshh> head_victim, maybe i can get someone from the bug team to join in?
[04:17:25] <nisshh> i know many of them
[04:17:34] <head_victim> nisshh: sure sounds good, as long as the timing works out for the
[04:17:34] <MoLE_> that would be excellent
[04:17:35] <head_victim> them*
[04:17:39] <nisshh> yes
[04:17:41] <nisshh> of course
[04:18:06] <nisshh> i might also get hold of jono and see if he has any idea's to add
[04:18:08] <head_victim> Doesn't have to be on the same day but we could just schedule an afternoon of jamming so one jam led on to the next, whatever suits
[04:18:26] <nisshh> head_victim, maybe one saturday one sunday?
[04:18:42] <head_victim> I could also run a wiki documentation jam if people were interested but it's not as glamourous as bug hunting :)
[04:18:58] <nisshh> its not, your right :)
[04:19:05] <head_victim> nisshh: sounds good
[04:19:14] <nisshh> i would be interested in the wiki one
[04:19:24] <nisshh> ok
[04:19:45] <nisshh> i will chuck some info on the mailing list so we can sort out the finer details, agree?
[04:19:51] <nisshh> agreed*
[04:19:52] <head_victim> Sounds good to me
[04:20:11] <nisshh> heh, ok
[04:20:15] <head_victim> 3.5 weeks away so enough time to plan
[04:20:19] <nisshh> yeah
[04:20:29] <nisshh> anyone have any questions or shall we move on?
[04:20:35] <nisshh> dns53, MoLE_ ^^
[04:20:40] <nisshh> iflema, ^^
[04:20:46] <MoLE_> I have set up a public google calendar for the ubuntu-au team at http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=ijuntcjmtkkl1180p7nkfbt3j4%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Australia/Adelaide
[04:21:00] <head_victim> MoLE_: there are already 2 other calendars :/
[04:21:14] <nisshh> yeah, i thought we already had a cal on the website?
[04:21:17] <head_victim> Evening jaddi27
[04:21:19] <MoLE_> ok then I'll look for them.
[04:21:32] <head_victim> nisshh: that and the loco people are trying to get people to use loco.ubuntu.com, the last item on this meeting :P
[04:21:41] <nisshh> yes, that too
[04:21:45] <nisshh> so lets move on
[04:21:58] <jaddi27> hi everyone - sorry for being late
[04:22:01] <nisshh> [TOPIC]Natty Narwhal Release Parties
[04:22:05] <head_victim> No worries jaddi27 glad you could join us
[04:22:07] <nisshh> jaddi27, no prob :)
[04:22:51] <head_victim> We need to start locking in times and dates and places for Natty release parties to allow us time to advertise them to the community to get people attending
[04:23:11] <dns53> any ideas for sa? i'd go to a pub this time
[04:23:13] <nisshh> anyone willing to host one?
[04:24:06] <sagaci> Sydney would have to be mid-late april for me
[04:24:08] <head_victim> I would host one in Brisbane as long as it lined up with days off.
[04:25:07] <sagaci> Always seems to be one in brisbane
[04:26:14] <nisshh> sagaci, well, thats were the highest concentration of us are really
[04:26:22] <nisshh> around sydney/brisbane
[04:26:35] * nisshh is all on his lonesome :)
[04:26:46] <head_victim> The release date is April the 28th so we need to organise it around then
[04:26:51] <tom_a_sparks> me too :(
[04:27:19] <nisshh> tom_a_sparks, where are you?
[04:27:24] <head_victim> So maybe the Friday night the 29th?
[04:27:32] <tom_a_sparks> lightning ridge, NSW
[04:27:41] <jaddi27> In Queensland, that is the week after school holidays
[04:27:41] <nisshh> ah ok
[04:27:59] <nisshh> jaddi27, oh, your that young are you? :)
[04:27:59] <jaddi27> but some Unis are of then
[04:28:12] <jaddi27> Not quite - I am first year Uni
[04:28:16] <nisshh> oh ok
[04:28:21] <head_victim> jaddi27: ah ok good to know
[04:28:40] <head_victim> So what I suggest is that we each start a release party thread on the mailing list
[04:28:58] <tom_a_sparks> yes
[04:29:17] <head_victim> So if you want one in your area shoot the list an email to see if there is anyone else around. I would also suggest people contact local LUGs to see if they want to organise them to attend if they aqre interested as well
[04:30:26] <head_victim> There's probably not enough people here to start locking in dates and places just yet but I thought we should start getting organised.
[04:31:46] <head_victim> Anyone else have anything to add?
[04:32:17] <tom_a_sparks> I am converting people to ubuntu in my local here :)
[04:32:27] <tom_a_sparks> area*
[04:32:33] <MoLE_> just a question about the calendar but it can wait until after the meeting
[04:32:50] <head_victim> tom_a_sparks: good to hear, set up a BBQ in a public place with some signs and CDs and interact, that's a release party :)
[04:33:01] <head_victim> MoLE_: sure, it will be coming up in the next topic as well
[04:33:22] <head_victim> Evening gorilla
[04:33:37] <head_victim> We're just talking about release parties
[04:33:40] <MoLE_> glad you could make it
[04:33:42] <gorilla> hi everyone.. Tuesdays are awfule for me.
[04:34:26] <nisshh> head_victim, anything else you wish to bring up or shall we continue?
[04:34:48] <head_victim> nisshh: sounds like we should start some mailing list chatter on the topic and we're ok to continue
[04:34:59] <nisshh> agreed
[04:35:05] <nisshh> ok, next topic
[04:35:13] <nisshh> [TOPIC]Loco.Ubuntu.Com
[04:35:17] <nisshh> head_victim, you again
[04:35:47] <head_victim> So what I've slowly started doing is using loco.ubuntu.com
[04:36:01] <nisshh> i keep forgetting :)
[04:36:05] <head_victim> The idea from the LoCo powers that be is it's a place for LoCos to interact and get together
[04:36:08] <nisshh> im supposed to be using it :)
[04:36:59] <head_victim> So in the interests of using it more what I'm suggesting is we try to use it more for activities. We can then run an RSS or ICAL feed to the website in read only or something
[04:37:47] <head_victim> For mine it's creating a LOT of duplication and even triplication for my efforts.
[04:38:08] <head_victim> So I'm very interested in anyone with some web skills helping me out by automating some of the work.
[04:38:32] <nisshh> head_victim, ask blahdeblah, he is the website guy
[04:38:37] <jaddi27> What type of web skills are you looking for?
[04:38:42] <tom_a_sparks> what needed?
[04:38:46] <head_victim> Someone who knows drupal really
[04:38:51] <nisshh> i only really know web design + HTML +CSS
[04:39:01] <nisshh> i dont know drupal
[04:39:02] <tom_a_sparks> I know wordpress
[04:39:10] <head_victim> The website needs a theme update to match current branding and if we can get the RSS feed working off the loco site to the ubuntu.org.au site that would be wonderful
[04:39:11] <jaddi27> I have been learning drupal for the past few months - certainly not an expert, but learning
[04:39:34] <MoLE_> jaddi27 you sound like the most qualified here :)
[04:39:42] <nisshh> head_victim, there is a #drupal channel, has heaps of people in there
[04:40:10] <nisshh> head_victim, or, you could ask the loco.ubuntu.com developers
[04:40:10] <jaddi27> yes, that channel is very good
[04:40:14] <head_victim> nisshh: no doubt but unless people are interested in something it's likely to be forgotten so was trying to get locals to take some interest to make it work :)
[04:40:23] <jaddi27> I am fairly sure I saw an Ubuntu drupal theme
[04:40:30] <nisshh> yes, there is one
[04:40:39] <nisshh> i just dont know who to ask to get it
[04:40:50] <jaddi27> http://drupal.org/project/udtheme-2010
[04:41:17] <head_victim> jaddi27: that's what I was just looking for
[04:41:39] <nisshh> heh
[04:41:39] <head_victim> See I'm useless enough to not even know where to begin when it comes to updating the theme.
[04:41:43] <nisshh> head_victim, there you go then
[04:41:50] <jaddi27> I haven't had much of a look at it, but if it is like the other drupal themes, it should be fairly easy to implement
[04:41:56] <nisshh> blahdeblah, probably knows how to apply it
[04:41:57] <head_victim> So I was kinda hoping to get someone who knows this stuff a little more than me to help out
[04:42:23] <head_victim> The main stumbling block is getting canonical to implement changes. But until I know what we need to change I don't want to start hassling them.
[04:42:37] <jaddi27> Installing a theme is basically just a matter of extracting, uploading and enabling, assuming it is configured how we want it
[04:42:45] <nisshh> yeah
[04:43:29] <head_victim> And as far as getting an RSS feed to the calendar part, is that difficult?
[04:43:39] <nisshh> dont know
[04:43:46] <jaddi27> I don't think it is too difficult
[04:44:29] <head_victim> Ok well I'll start another email thread on the topic to get some debate on what we could/should implement and see if we can get some people working together to get it to happen?
[04:44:36] <jaddi27> Sounds good
[04:44:37] <gorilla> That shouldn't been too difficult.. I have done that for a wordpress site that I have done in the past.
[04:44:39] <nisshh> yeah
[04:44:56] <head_victim> [IDEA] head_victim to email the list with details on updates to the ubuntu.org.au site
[04:45:19] <nisshh> ok, that everything head_victim?
[04:45:44] <head_victim> That's all I had for the loco.ubuntu.com stuff I just wanted to point out that it exists and that they want us using it more I think so that's about it
[04:45:54] <nisshh> ok
[04:46:04] <nisshh> thanks for coming everyone
[04:46:08] <nisshh> #endmeeting
Meeting ended.